Q. I wish to have a hall wedding, as my house cannot accommodate my huge family. I wanted to know the Islamic ruling on hall weddings?
A. It is permissible to host or attend a hall wedding as long as all the laws of Shariah are followed and there are no violations of Shariah.
Accordingly, the following should be considered in hall weddings:
1. The Walimah,/wedding etc. should not be extravagant. One should not incur debts to host a ‘grand’ Walimah/wedding. It should be simple and done within ones means.
2. There should be no intermingling of genders, as it is an act of sin and against Shariah. If the women folk are attending the Walimah/wedding, appropriate Hijaab/ Pardah facilities should be arranged for them.
3. There should be no music, photography etc. at the Walimah/wedding.
4. At the time of the Walimah/wedding, one should not miss any Salaah.
5. There should be no customs at the Walimah/wedding that are contrary to Shariah.
Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Ismaeel Bassa