A fathers request to make a bequest on his behalf

Q. After my father gave me a house, he requested that I give R500 on a monthly basis for him as Sadaqah Jaariyah. Due to the current situation, I am having difficulty doing so. Am I still obligated to give the Saqadah Jaariyah for him?

A. If after your father gifted a house to you, he requested that R500 be given on his behalf on a Monthly basis as Saqadah, the request will be optional and not an obligation upon you to fulfil.

Therefore, you may fulfil your fathers request at your discretion. 

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa