A mother paying a third parties debt with Zakaat to her son

 Q. A friend of mines owes me money but is Zakaat eligible not in a position to pay it. Can my mother pay the money owed to me on his behalf with Zakaat?

A. It is not permitted for a mother to discharge her Zakaat directly to her son and vice-versa.

However, in the enquired case, it is permitted for your mother to discharge her Zakaat by paying the debt owed by your friend to you provided that he is Zakaat eligible and it is done on his behalf and with his permission. In this case, your mother would not be discharging her Zakaat to you directly but rather on behalf of your friend.

Therefore, the Zakaat would be considered discharged and the debt paid.

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa